- What classified categories do you offer?
- What does it cost to advertise?
- Does it cost anything to boldface words in my ad?
- Are there other ways to make my ad stand out?
- What if I want my ad to reach more people? Can you help me advertise in other Harvard publications?
- What if I want to use a photo, logo, or color in my print ad?
- Can my ad to be placed in a certain part of a section (e.g. the first ad in a category, not toward the bottom, etc.)?
- When is my classified ad due?
- Do you offer frequency discounts?
- Can you help me write my ad or suggest changes?
- How do I pay for my classified ad?
- How will I know if people are responding to my classified ad?
- I am ready to place my ad. What do I do now?
- I know I want to place an ad, but I still have questions. What should I do?
- What if I want to place an ad in another part of the magazine (outside of the classifieds section)?
A: We have categories to fit almost any advertisement, however our most popular sections include Vacation Rentals, Personals, and Real Estate.
A: We offer text advertising at a cost of $5.25 per word. Telephone numbers, including the area code, count as one word. Words divided by a slash or hyphens are counted individually. Zip codes are free. E-mail addresses and websites count as two words each. There is a 12-word minimum.
If you wish for logos, photos or artwork to appear in your ad, you must purchase a display ad. Display ads cost $400 per column inch, and are available in increments of 1/4” (1-inch minimum), with a standard column width of 2 3/16”. Design services are also available for $60 per hour, with a 1 hour minimum charge.
A: House style is to boldface the first two words in each ad. Additional boldfacing of entire words costs an extra $5.25 per word, doubling the cost of the word.
A: There are three ways to make your text ad stand out:
- Add an icon to highlight your text ad for $35.
- Add a Crimson border to your text ad for $60.
- Buy an online classified ad. Online classifieds appear concurrently with each print issue for just $40 extra. This is an excellent way to reinforce your print advertisement. If you miss a print deadline and want to advertise online instead, the cost is $5.25 per word (the same as a print ad). Another added bonus: your online ad can be linked directly to your webpage or e-mail address. You can also include photos with your online text ad for $35 per photo.
A: In addition to Harvard Magazine, we can place your text ad in the print edition of the Harvard Business School Bulletin (HBSB). The cost is an extra $3 per word and your ad will be seen by an additional 72,000 readers. Your ad will run in the same number of issues that you select for Harvard Magazine (i.e. if you sign up for 3 issues of Harvard Magazine, we will include your ad in 3 issues of the Harvard Business School Bulletin). You cannot place your ad in HBSB instead of Harvard Magazine. This special offer is only available to those who wish to advertise in HBSB in addition to Harvard Magazine. Crimson borders and icons do not appear in the Harvard Business School Bulletin and they do not accept personal ads or classified display ads at this time.
A: You can buy a display ad, which allows for logos and artwork. Display ads cost $400 per column inch, and are available in increments of 1/4” (1-inch minimum), with a standard column width of 2 3/16”. Design services are also available for $60 per hour, with a 1 hour minimum charge. Here is an example of a 1” display ad that would cost $400. To purchase a display ad, call (617) 496-6686 or classifieds[at]harvard [dot] edu (e-mail).
A: Positioning guarantees are not available in the classifieds section. Ads are arranged on a first-come, first-served basis.
A: The deadlines for each issue are as follows:
|Issue||Deadline for Ads||Date Published|
A: If you advertise in 3 issues, you will receive a 10% discount. If you advertise in 4 or 5 issues, you will receive a 15% discount. If you advertise in 6 issues or more, you will receive a 20% discount. For example: if you run a 20-word ad one time, the price will be $105. If you run the ad 3 times, the price goes down to $94.50 per insertion. If you run the ad 4 or 5 times, the price goes down to $89.25 per insertion. If you run the ad 6 or more times, the price drops to $84 per insertion! To receive a frequency discount, you must pay for all insertions at the time of sale.
A: If you aren’t sure how to write an ad, a great way to get ideas is to read through our classifieds section; this will show you how classifieds are generally worded. Browse the classifieds on-line. If you still have questions or if you would like us to help you write a text ad or design* a display ad, call (617) 496-6686 or send an classifieds[at]harvard [dot] edu (e-mail) and we will be happy to help you.
*Design services for display ads are available for $60 per hour, with a 1 hour minimum charge. There is no charge for assistance in wording text ads.
A: Payment is due at the time of purchase. You can pay with a credit card or check (as long as the check is received and clears by the ad deadline). We accept Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover.
A: The best way to find out if people are responding to your ad in Harvard Magazine is to ask them how they heard about you (there is no way for us to track this data).
A: To place an ad, click here, or send an classifieds[at]harvard [dot] edu (e-mail).
A: Please contact the Classifieds Department at (617) 496-6686 or send us an classifieds[at]harvard [dot] edu (e-mail).
A: View our national ad rates, New England regional ad rates, web ad rates, or rates for ads that run in our monthly-emails. For more information, please contact Bob Fitta, Director of Advertising, at (617) 496-6631 or e-mail him at bob_fitta[at]harvard [dot] edu.